Homeland was developed by the Roland Park Homeland Company who purchased the 391 acre parcel, then know as the Perine Estate of Homeland, in 1924 for the sum of $1,000,000. The advantages of the location of the property included the fact that its highest point sat more than 400 feet above sea level, thus making it one of the more elevated sections of Baltimore. Additionally, the rolling terrain (and subsequent naming of the streets) evoked the English flavor the Company wished to portray.
The new development of Homeland was advertised in the Sunday Sun in 1924, with the sale opening at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday, 11th October 1924. At that time everything was still in the paper stage. Despite that, at the end of the first day, 89 lots had been sold. At the termination of the sale 16 days later, the number rose to 248. The first house approved by the Company was in 1924, built in 1925 - 5108 Springlake Way. In 2001, Homeland was entered into the National Register of Historic Places. Not only does this acknowledge Homeland as a premier example of American suburban development, it provides residents with tax credits to restore their homes with historically appropriate materials.