The Cedarcroft Land Company was formed about 1910 by Philip and George Lamb, along with George Van Hollen, William McGeen and C.L. Applegarth. Later they were joined by Frank A. Warner, Jr., and Edward L. Palmer, the architect credited with the design of the development, which was between York and Bellona, Lake and Gittings.
Episcopalians living nearby met in makeshift quarters and were anxious to build a church. In 1911, the diocese bought land on the southwest corner of Cedarcroft and York roads for $5,000. The church was dedicated in 1913. Ten years later, it was moved a few hundred feet, from the center of the lot, on soaped beams so that a parish house could be added.
After the lots had been sold, the Cedarcroft Land Company was liquidated in the early 1920s. The Cedarcroft Maintenance Corporation was chartered and the Cedarcroft Improvement Association formed. All of the covenants, restrictions and regulations made by the Land Company were incorporated in the Maintenance Corporation, the latter remaining the governing body of Cedarcroft. All restrictions and requirements set by the Land Company were preserved.
The records of the corporation and improvement association are maintained in a loose leaf binder entitled, "Beginning 1926", although, the records date from 1929. The 1929 treasurer's report shows payments of $13 for cutting grass on vacant lots and $112.50 for top soil, hauling leaves and operating the snow plow. These traditional codes governed the construction of single-family houses costing a value minimums of at least $6000; most of the homes sell in the $40,000 to $60,000 price ranged. They are all built according to the neighborhood plan and color scheme regulations.
By 1921 only 30 houses had been constructed on the association lots. Corner lots sold for $2000 and interior block lots sold for $1800. The rapid surge of immigrants and Baltimore residents moving north initiated the creation of Cedarcroft's Maintenance Corporation and Improvement Association.
Cedarcroft Maintenance Corporation's covenants remain in place; however, they are subject to homeowner's approval and vote periodically to renew and approve changes. Plans, color schemes and renovations were to be submitted to the group for approval. Due to the larger size and higher values of Cedarcroft houses, the neighborhood saw a sizable number of young family groups moving in.
In 2007, 11 units within Cedarcroft were sold; the average price of these sales was $528,591, the median being $505,000. Aside from renovations to the houses of the neighborhood and the growth of trees and landscaping, Cedarcroft looks much as it did in the mid-1900s. The distinguishing features of the area are its traditional Revival style houses, and narrow streets lined with arched trees, "reminiscent of medieval arches." In 2012, Cedarcroft is a diverse community, attracting traditional and non-traditional families from a variety of backgrounds. While the historical character remains intact through neighborhood efforts, Cedarcroft exists and thrives without constrictive and intrusive rules. Owners wishing to renovate are encouraged to have neighbor buy-in of plans before they are presented to the Cedarcroft Improvement Corporation. This process allows for individuality, yet builds cooperation between neighbors.
Located in City Council District Four, Cedarcroft has been listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
According to the 2000 Demographic profile, 97.8% of the houses in Cedarcroft are occupied, more than 91% by owners. 75.6% of the houses are family households.
Cedarcroft remains a calm and beautiful neighborhood despite its increasingly urban surrounding. The tight-knit community comes together naturally, celebrating October block parties, Halloween parades, and Christmas decoration contests together.This historic district is quite simply a "diamond in the rough" of an evolving and progressing city.